Mendeley Citation Manager


Mendeley plugged in to Open Office, originally uploaded by petaj.

Another tool for researchers. This one is competition for Zotero, Endnote, Refworks and other bibliographic reference managers. It is also competition for the social citation cites too, as there is both a desktop client and a web library that are easily synchronised. The desktop client can be used without creating an online account, but you miss out on the social features.

Within a few minutes of installing the desktop application I had imported my Zotero collection (using RIS format) and synchronised with my Mendeley web collection.

The plugin for Open Office just worked - even though my OO version is a bit out of date, and the bookmarklet (web importer) for capturing from the web also worked, although it works with limited sites, including those that support COinS.

And I still haven't looked up the manual or help.

A must-look for librarians and researchers. Mendeley is still in beta.

UPDATE: 25 November

Additional image showing the plugin in MS Word


Mendelay with Word

Comments

Andrew said…
Hi!

I'm one of the team behind Mendeley, and I wanted to thank you for your great review!

Also, please don't forget that Mendeley can sync with Zotero, so working with Zotero is painless.

Please get in touch at feedback@mendeley.com to let us know any other thoughts about Mendeley that you may have.

Thanks!
Peta said…
Thanks for the tip about Zotero synchronisation. That sounds useful.
Anonymous said…
Looks like a great tool, just what our team is looking for. Unfortunately I've tried the web importer on Firefox and IE to index IEEEexplore docs and it just doesn't work. I've tried all sort of things and that's my evening wasted now :-(

Some kind of troubleshooting help would be nice.
Peta said…
I just tried the web import in Firefox for ieeeXplore and it worked fine from the abstract view page.

I did not have success from within MPOW's IEEE subscription interface though - however, the error message that popped up clearly stated that ieeeXplore was a supported site.
Suggest you contact Mendeley support for advice.