splashurl now has qrcode generator

I wrote about splashurl previously, when I found the very useful bookmarklet that lets a user create a short url and display it large on the screen for others to write down. Terrific for presentations involving web browsing.
The site now also offers a bookmarklet for creating a short url and generating a qrcode image that can be downloaded and used in print publications, or on signage. QR codes can be scanned by some mobile phones with web browsing functionality and will then open the url in the phones browser.

If the image appears large enough when projected on a screen, I suppose viewers can take a photo with their camera and load the url in their phone's browser right then and there.

I tried this just photographing my desktop monitor at work with my iphone. I used the free iphone app Upcode, and it worked with the second photo i took.

Here is one I prepared earlier...  This is the qr code for this blog.
Possible locations I might use this:
  • In a conference paper as part of my contact details
  • on business cards
  • in handouts for presentations
Any other good ideas?
My blog - Inn0vate qr code
Signage at construction sites would allow viewers to quickly locate more information on the web about the building.

>SplashURL

Comments

Maia said…
Wow -- that's a really interesting idea. The tools people create always seems so obvious, but only after they make them :). Linking to URLs in locations where people can't click on them is clearly a need, but I don't think I would have ever come up with a solution like this. Do you think people will use this (or something similar) when making citations in research papers and books? I hate typing in the URLs (they're always soo long) - you must encounter this a lot as a librarian!

Keep it up -- love the blog :)
Anonymous said…
QR Code chimp that allows you to create static and dynamic QR codes with a logo for all your business and marketing requirements.

QR Generator
QR Code Generator
QR Code
QR code online generator
QR code Maker
QR code scanner
diskha said…
The unique, AI monitored, patent pending, cost-effective anti-counterfeit technology offered by NeuroTags renders clones invalid. Companies looking towards eliminating counterfeits of their products from the market are deploying the smart app-less, seamless, and easy-to-use loyalty programs designed by NeuroTags.

anti-counterfeit packaging