On my list of things to investigate> There is a Forrester-NewsGator archived webinar available and a 2 minute video.
Update 15th January 12:37pm Notes from the archived webinar
Newsgator Enterprise Server (NGES) and Social Sites offers these over and above Sharepoint's native RSS capabilities:
- provides tagging functionality
- read/unread metadata follows the user (Active Directory) wherever they consume the feeds ie. mobile devices, desktop reader, or sharepoint
- displays feeds with integrated metadata
- connects users with common interests
- authorisation of feeds even when a private feed may be spliced into general feeds on a public page of Sharepoint - only authorised users will see the private content
- NGES can push feeds out to external, anonymous users - same capabilities but no user metadata - they will only see feed content that is authorised for anonymous users
"makes information fluid"