- Article marketing – ezine articles, 800 word on the blog with 150 word article with a different slant and title, credibility, link love.
- Interact with fellow bloggers to encourage the placement of a link in their blogrolls
Social marketing – Can you get your blog posts on sites like Digg or Bumpzee, Stumbleupon, Kwoff (being launched soon)
- Interact on forums and social networks and use a link to your blog in your signature
Join blogging networks – LinkedIn Bloggers, 9rules, Blogrush
- Build community
- Focus on content and traffic before looking at monetizing your blog
- Smart use of post titles. If you want to optimize for search engines, get the <title> tag to begin with the post titles. WordPress has a plugin (seo-title-tag) that will take care of this. And use straightforward post titles that include common keyword search terms. If you want to focus on building community, then using clever post titles may be more appropriate. People appreciate clever titles – search engines work better with descriptive key terms.
- First paragraph should summarise the entire post in around 20 words – like writing newspaper articles. The first paragraph is most likely to be included in the search engine snippet.
Fascinating stuff with a strong focus on driving business. Think about what your blog is for, before rushing into these. Are you just trying to increase traffic generally, or are you trying to increase the right traffic – especially important for blogs that focus on communities of practice, or special interest topics.