My first google gadget

I created my first Google gadget tonight. It took somewhat longer than 15 minutes, but it would have taken much longer if I had to start from scratch. As it was, I inspected Matthias's Libraries Australia google gadget code and adapted it. Thanks Matthias.

So I now have a Bond library catalogue search gadget to add to my personalised Google page. In the near future it will have to move to a more official home, and may be fancied up somewhat.

If you want one for your library system, the easiest way will be to find a gadget that looks similar to what you need and then adapt to suit the url search syntax for your system. Some html, xml and javascript expertise will be a help.

UWA Library has one available with tabs for different search strategies. Thanks Kathryn for your post - if I hadn't read that I wouldn't have been fiddling with gadgets on a Friday evening.

Comments

Sue said…
OK- so I really want to be able to do this. I found Matthias' script and my HTML is OK if rusty. Can any one suggest a starting javascript book??
Matthias said…
Heh. I threw that Libraries Australia one together quickly, I'm much happier with the UWA Library gadget.

The most important bit is to have fun!

:-P
Anonymous said…
Nice story as for me. It would be great to read a bit more concerning this topic. The only thing I would like to see on that blog is a few photos of any gadgets.
Kate Stepman
Block phone